Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sweetness

In one of my favorite quotes (from one of my favorite authors) John Steinbeck said "For how can one know color in perpetual green, and what good is warmth without cold to give it sweetness?" Of course this statement could apply to any facet of life but I feel its connection to art most vividly. For years I have dabbled in many creative endeavors involving writing, photography, and painting. As many artists can attest to art is like a roller coaster. Highs and lows in inspiration and in the finished product. The lows give the highs their sweetness. Artists are horribly critical of their own creations and this can hold them back. I am learning to let go and not be so critical of myself. To just let the brush lead my hand and the colors and textures speak to me. To step back and pause to evaluate before I add that extra layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment